NerdLab YYC is dedicated to providing a harassment-free experience for everyone. We do not tolerate harassment of participants in any form.
- Offensive comments - including jokes - related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, mental illness, neuro(a)typicality, physical appearance, body size, race, or religion (or lack thereof).
- Unwelcome comments regarding a person’s lifestyle choices and practices, including those related to food, health, parenting, drugs, and employment.
- Deliberate misgendering or use of ‘dead’ or rejected names.
- Gratuitous or off-topic sexual images or behaviour in spaces where they’re not appropriate.
- Physical contact and simulated physical contact (e.g. textual descriptions like “hug” or “backrub”) without consent or after a request to stop.
- Threats of violence.
- Incitement of violence towards any individual, including encouraging a person to commit suicide or to engage in self-harm.
- Deliberate intimidation.
- Stalking or following.
- Inappropriate or harassing photography or recording, including logging online activity for harassment purposes.
- Sustained disruption of discussion.
- Unwelcome sexual attention, including sexualized comments or jokes, inappropriate touching, groping or unwelcomed sexual advances.
- Continued pattern of inappropriate social contact, such as requesting/assuming inappropriate levels of intimacy with others.
- Continued pursuit of one-on-one communication after requests to cease.
- Deliberate “outing” of, or threatened “outing” of, any aspect of a person’s identity without their consent except as necessary to protect vulnerable people from intentional abuse.
- Publication of non-harassing private communication.
- Advocating for or encouraging any of the above behavior.
The NerdLab YYC team will not act on complaints regarding:
- ‘Reverse’ -isms, including ‘reverse racism,’ ‘reverse sexism,’ and ‘cisphobia.’
- Reasonable communication of boundaries, such as “leave me alone,” “go away,” or “I’m not discussing this with you.”
- Communicating in a ‘tone’ you don’t find congenial.
- Criticizing racist, sexist, cissexist, or otherwise oppressive behavior or assumptions.
This code of conduct applies to all NerdLab YYC spaces, including our meetup forums both online and off. Anyone who violates this code of conduct may be sanctioned or expelled from these spaces at the discretion of the NerdLab YYC team.
Some NerdLab YYC spaces may have additional rules in place, which will be made clearly available to participants. Participants are responsible for knowing and abiding by these rules.
Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately.
If a participant engages in harassing behavior, the NerdLab YYC team may take any action they deem appropriate, up to and including expulsion from all NerdLab YYC spaces and identification of the participant as a harasser to other NerdLab YYC members or the general public.
If you are being harassed by a NerdLab YYC community member, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact the NerdLab YYC team at [email protected] All reports will be kept confidential.
If you believe anyone is in physical danger, please notify appropriate law enforcement first. If you are unsure what law enforcement agency is appropriate, please include this in your report and we will attempt to notify them.
For further details on reporting Code of Conduct Violations, please refer to our expanded Reporting Guidelines for additional information and instructions.